Disclaimer: Content on the YP4 blog does not necessarily reflect the views of Young People For or People For the American Way Foundation. The views, ideas, statements or claims posted on this site by members of the public cannot in any way be attributed to either Young People For or People For the American Way Foundation.
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and
education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic
values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement
and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next
generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth
leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and
carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic
participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a youth-driven and youth-led program that
brings together young leaders and activists from across the nation who
are eager to ensure that progressive voices are heard on critical
issues such as the judiciary, religious freedom, economic justice,
civil rights and constitutional protections. This program is designed
for serious people who are interested in being leaders and making a
difference. Together we are building a long-term network of emerging
leaders committed to protecting our nation's fundamental rights and
The Leadership Associate is based in New York, reports to the
Director of Education and Leadership, must be able to support new
program development and planning, and may be required to travel
- Work closely with the Education and Leadership Department team to
manage day-to-day communication with fellows in YP4's advanced
leadership programs for young professionals and college leaders.
- Support YP4 fellows in their transition from campus activism to
professional activism. Work with fellows to plan, manage, and support
their long-term and short-term career goals through participating in
- Work to build strong relationships with progressive organizations hosting YP4 fellows as interns and young professionals.
- Build strong relationships with progressive organizations in the
multistate fellowship network and connect advanced leadership fellows
to relevant career opportunities in their states.
- Represent the Young People For program at national conferences and events.
- Assist with annual recruitment and selection processes for advanced leadership programs.
- Work with the Young People For team on the planning of program retreats as well as the annual YP4 National Summit.
- Experience working in varied office cultures and environments, with
prior participation in an internship program strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and provide support to a
diverse spectrum of individuals at various stages of their career.
- Ability to support program participants by identifying professional
development resources and opportunities such as job coaching and career
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Superb writing skills.
- Previous grassroots/political/campus organizing experience.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be
well-organized and able to effectively manage competing priorities and
- Ability to work well independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn, show initiative and creativity.
- Familiarity with MSOffice applications; experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work additional hours when needed.
- Commitment to the values of Young People For and People For the American Way Foundation.
- Ability to speak and read Spanish desirable.
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to:
Director of Human Resources
People For the American Way Foundation
2000 M Street, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
People For the American Way Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Position open until filled.